Mercury

Filed under News, Opinions, Top Stories

PHS Drama Company Nails, “Almost Maine” After Snowstorm Cancels the First Two Performances

Back to Article
Back to Article

The PHS Drama Company performed an outstanding version of John Cariani’s play, “Almost, Maine” on Saturday, November 17 after being kept off of the stage Thursday and Friday evenings due to the snow storm. I went on Saturday afternoon, and let me tell you, it wasn’t what I had expected it to be. I went in there thinking it was going to be a holiday-themed play, but to my surprise, it wasn’t anything like that.

“Almost, Maine” is a play by John Cariani, comprised of nine short plays that explore love and loss in a remote, mythical somewhat-almost-town called Almost, Maine.

I thought that the PHS Drama Company did a phenomenal, outstandingly joyful, good-willed, out-of-this world performance.  Although it explored the bitter and even dark side of romance, it also was lightened with humor. For instance, this included an ongoing gag, in which one of the characters tries to get closer to the other character.  He did this by going 360 degrees around the world, while the latter sits on a bench yelling, “Closer!”

I hope they pick and execute an outstanding spring musical. Keep up the excellent work, PHS Drama Company!