The School Newspaper of Peekskill High School

Mercury

Mercury

Mercury

PHS Social Studies Honor Society Hosts Voter Registration Drive

Are you currently registered to vote?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

On Thursday, May 23, 2024, the Peekskill High School Social Studies Honor Society sponsored an important event aimed at fostering civic engagement among students. Four representatives from the League of Women Voters were invited to the school and stationed at a table in the cafeteria during lunch periods to assist with voter registration.

This initiative was specifically targeted at students aged 16 and older, enabling them to pre-register so that they will be eligible to vote as soon as they turn 18. The effort is part of a non-partisan campaign with a mission to “educate and advocate” for democracy, ensuring that young people are prepared and empowered to participate in future elections.

Encouraged by their teachers Ms. Rodriguez and Ms. McCarthy, interested students had the opportunity to learn more about the voting process and secure their ability to vote in upcoming elections. The Social Studies Honor Society and the League of Women Voters representatives emphasized the importance of every vote and the role that informed and engaged citizens play in maintaining a healthy democracy.

By facilitating this voter registration drive, Peekskill High School continues to demonstrate its commitment to civic education and the empowerment of its students as future leaders.