The School Newspaper of Peekskill High School

Mercury

Filed under News, Opinions, Top Stories

Power of Peace: The feelings unfold

peaceIntroduction

Power of peace is a program in which young adults learn to deal with situations and conflicts to create a safer sense of community in educational settings. These young adults come out of this program with a positive state of mind and an understanding of their emotions and feelings.

About the Founders

The creators of Power of Peace are none other than the Youth Voices Center Inc. This group was established in 2008 and was created to promote positive youth development among adolescents. This is a conflict resolution and anti-violence initiative. They focus on developing leadership skills, creating teamwork, and having students become aware of other people’s feelings while also trying to break down their own walls.

mike2Michael (Mighty Mike) Arterberry

Michael Arterberry is the executive director of Youth Voices Center Inc. Michael has created this program to help adolescents get through tough years. He has based the program around his own life experiences and struggles during his younger years. He has inspired many youth with his own story and he has changed people’s lives with this program.

My Experience

I  am a very open person and am not afraid to share my feelings. I went into Power of Peace with an open mind thinking “how would this program help me in any way?” It helped me be even more open. This program had very nice team building exercises and different games where we had to be open with all our peers. The thing about this program is that there is confidentiality. This means that whatever happens in Power of Peace, stays in Power of Peace. This allowed me to better understand my peers because I  heard their stories and their struggles. The experience made me realize that others have problems too, and that we are all in this together in one way or another.  When I came out of this program I used some of the lessons that were taught to us to help me with my problems. After this experience “I drove my own car.” Driving your own car means to not let your situations and conflicts control the way you live your life. I am going back for workshop number two in a couple weeks and I am glad to be going back.