The School Newspaper of Peekskill High School

Mercury

Mercury

Mercury

Peekskill High School Dance Program: A Journey of Passion and Empowerment

Peekskill High School recently celebrated the culmination of its annual dance performance, showcasing the talent and dedication of its students under the guidance of Ms. Patricia Johnson, the visionary behind the school’s burgeoning dance program.

Ms. Johnson, the physical education teacher at Peekskill High School, transitioned into teaching after a successful career in athletics, including coaching volleyball at the Division I level. Reflecting on her career change, she remarks, “Teaching is a second career for me. I fell into finding my passion.”

The genesis of Peekskill High School’s dance program originated with the school’s athletic director, Austin Goldberg, who envisioned a platform for students to explore movement and rhythm. Despite lacking a formal dance background herself, Ms. Johnson embraced the challenge, starting the program from scratch during the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. What began with just two classes, including one with only four virtual students, has blossomed into six classes with over twenty students each, and the program continues to grow.

At the heart of the dance program is a commitment to providing a safe and supportive environment for students. Ms. Johnson emphasizes, “It’s about empowered voices. They can see how you can create the life you want.” Students echo this sentiment, expressing appreciation for a space where their voices are valued above all else.

Empowering students who may lack confidence or experience is a cornerstone of Ms. Johnson’s teaching philosophy. She notes that many of her students start out shy but gradually find their voice through the collaborative atmosphere of the class. Throughout the year, students work together to create several performances, with February’s Black History Month serving as the recent thematic inspiration.

The Black History Month performance, while a significant highlight, is not the final culmination of the dance program’s activities. Ms. Johnson and her students are preparing for future performances, each one a testament to their dedication and creative expression.

The success of the dance program hasn’t come overnight. Ms. Johnson has dedicated years to cultivating a vibrant community of dancers and looks forward to expanding its reach beyond the school walls. A key component of this expansion is starting students at a younger age, fostering a love and passion for dance early on.

Central to the program’s success are the students themselves, who not only perform but also contribute creatively as teachers and choreographers. Students, such as senior Jay Wilson, who has worked alongside Johnson as the student choreographer for multiple dance events, exemplify the passion and commitment that define the Peekskill High School Dance Program, leaving a lasting impression on stage.

As the dance program continues to evolve and flourish, Ms. Johnson’s advice to students is simple yet profound: “Find your passion and stick to it.” With her guidance and the dedication of Peekskill High School’s dancers, the future of the program shines brightly, promising new heights of creativity, empowerment, and artistic expression.