The School Newspaper of Peekskill High School

Mercury

Mercury

Mercury

On the Fast Track: Jermaine Carter’s Journey to Success at Peekskill High School

Jermaine Carter, a dedicated member of the Peekskill High School track team, has spent the past three years honing his skills and pushing his limits. As he prepares to step into his final year as team captain, Jermaine reflects on his journey, the inspiration behind his passion for track, and the challenges he has overcome along the way. In this interview, he shares his experiences and advice for aspiring athletes.

How long have you been a member of the track team?

“I have been on the Peekskill High School track team for three years now, and I will be going into my last year in 2025 as team captain on varsity.”

What inspired you to join the track team?

“What inspired me to join the track team was watching the Penn Relays with my sister and family when I was young. Ever since then, I decided to take track seriously. I was either 9 or 10 when I first felt a sense of euphoria with the sport, and I love every aspect of it. This sense of peace and fulfillment makes me feel accomplished every time I get the chance to run.”

Who is your coach, and how has their guidance affected your performance?

“I have two main coaches who have shaped my track career on a whole new level. My track club coach, Derrick, has been pushing me since I was little, teaching me grit and determination even when times are tough. My high school track coach, Diano, has taught me persistence and provided inspiration.”

How would you describe the relationship among your teammates?

“My relationship with my teammates is amazing. Track is not a sport you do by yourself; you need people around you to succeed, whether it’s cheering each other on at practice or at meets. ‘Track is not about what you’re doing; it is about who you are doing it with.'”

When does the track season start and end?

“The indoor track season usually runs from late November until early March if you qualify for the National Meet. Outdoor track lasts from March to June. Cross Country is from late August to November.”

How often do you practice during the season, and what is your typical training routine?

“I practice Monday through Friday during the season, and usually have a track meet on Saturday or Sunday.”

How many meets do you usually compete in during a season?

“There isn’t an exact number of meets I compete in, whether it’s indoor, outdoor, or cross country.”

What events do you compete in?

“I usually compete in the 800 and the 400 meters during the track season. The 400 is one lap of the track, and the 800 is two laps.”

What has been your most memorable competition or race?

“My most memorable competition was earning two all-league titles in my events and setting a personal record in the 400 with a time of 53.06.”

Have you won any awards or set any personal records? If so, what are they?

“I’ve set personal records in the 800 with a time of 2:04 and in the 400 with 53.06. These times are great for now, but I aim to lower them further.”

What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced as a track athlete?

“My biggest challenge has been not achieving my target time at a big meet with over 20+ schools, and not qualifying for states. These setbacks make me feel low, but I can’t stay down for long. I have to get up and keep going.”

How did you overcome this challenge?

“I overcame this challenge by working harder, drinking more water, and increasing my stamina with standardized practices and game plans.”

How did your team perform overall this season?

“Overall, my team performed great. We made it to Class B sectionals, where certain athletes hit specific standards. We all did pretty well.”

What advice would you give to someone considering joining the track team?

“My advice to anyone considering joining the track team is to not get easily discouraged just because someone is on level 100 in the sport. You can discover different training methods to help you get just as good and even beat that person. Lastly, just have fun and don’t overthink it, or you’ll drive yourself insane.”

Jermaine Carter’s journey is a testament to dedication and the spirit of teamwork. As he heads into his final year as team captain, his passion and perseverance continue to inspire those around him.